Given the massive rise in technological advancements, everything is available online. Certification have become a top priority for professionals to polish their skills and climb up their career ladder. The globally recognised Splunk certification programmes aim to certify exceptional well-trained, sought-after professionals that our industry peers recognize as experts in their field. The Splunk Core Certified Power User is a foundational, entry level certification programme that demonstrates your foundational competence of Splunk’s core software.
Cracking the exam is definitely a hard deal. Here we present you with Tutorials and Preparatory Guide to clear the exam and pass with flying colours.
What is Splunk Core Certified Power User Exam?
The Splunk Core certified Power User is an entry level certification exam that demonstrates your ability to navigate and use the Splunk software. This certification provides you the basic understanding of SPL searching and reporting command. You will be skilled to create knowledge objects, use field aliases, create tags and event types, use macros, create workflow actions and data models, and normalize data with the Common Information Model in either the Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Cloud platforms. This certification also introduces you to Splunk’s datasets feature and Pivot interface
Why Choose Splunk Core Certified Power User Exam?
The Splunk Core Certified Power User exam is the final step towards completion of the Splunk Core Certified Power User certification. This exam is highly recognised and offers you the following benefits
Validates skills and knowledge
The Splunk Core Certified Power User exam validates your skills and knowledge to navigate in Splunk Software. This exam also helps you demonstrate your expertise in Splunk’s datasets and Pivot interface.
This exam validates your skills and makes your industry ready. It helps you demonstrate the required skill set for that is high in demand thereby enhancing your employability.
Academic Records Shine
These Certifications helps in attracting the attention of your potential employers to your resume and makes your academic records shine.
Talking about the Splunk Core Certified Power User salary, this certification helps you stand out from the crowd and gain higher salaries. Your certification will also provide you with a competitive edge over non-certified peers.
Once you pass the exam, you will receive via email, a digital badge for use in an email signature, on networking/social media sites (e.g. LinkedIn), or for professional qualification verification purposes. These digital badges are unique and cannot be altered, edited, or shared. Moreover they add value to your professional career.
This entry-level certification demonstrates an individual’s basic ability to navigate and use Splunk software. This is the certification track flowchart.
Before diving into your preparations, you need to be familiar with the exam concepts and policies. Here are some basic exam details
Exam Delivery Options
The splunk certification exams can be taken in either of the following ways-
- Firstly, In-person at a Pearson Test Center.
- Or at home via online proctoring
The Splunk Core Certified Power User exam is the final step towards completion of the Splunk Core Certified Power User certification. Therefore it is a must for you to pass the Splunk Core Certified User exam as a prerequisite for this certification exam.
Exam Registration : Splunk Core Certified Power User
The Splunk Core Certified Power Use can be prepared by following the steps-
- First-time registrants need to connect your Splunk account to the Pearson VUE platform.
- Additionally, you will have to submit complete, accurate contact information to testing partner Pearson VUE.
- Then you need to wait for Authorization to Test email from Pearson View for two days from your form submission.
- Subsequently create an account with Pearson VUE.
- Further, you need to schedule an exam appointment. Your Pearson VUE Home screen provides a full list of exams for which you are eligible. Click through the verification screens and proceed to Schedule this Exam, followed by Proceed to Scheduling.
- Further, you need to verify exam appointment details and confirm contact information. Agree to policies (please read carefully). Enter payment information (or Voucher code, if applicable). Submit Order.
- Lastly, you will receive a registration confirmation email from Pearson VUE.
Splunk Core Certified Power User Exam Retake Policy
If you are not able to pass the exam on the first attempt Splunk offers you to take the exam again. You must wait 7 days to retake the exam. You will not be permitted to retake any exam they have previously passed unless directly related to a recertification requirement approved by Splunk. The Splunk Core Certified Power User costs for re-taking is $125 USD.
Exam Rescheduling Policy : Splunk Core Certified Power User
All scheduled exams are subject to a minimum 24-hour cancellation and/or rescheduling policy. Failure to cancel or reschedule an exam within this timeframe results in forfeiture of the registration fee.
The Splunk Core Certified Power User certification is valid for a period of 3 years.
Exam FAQ: Splunk Core Certified Power User
Before venturing into your preparations, you must have complete clarity about the exam policies. Visit Splunk Core Certified Power User FAQ
Course Outline : Splunk Core Certified Power User
The Splunk core certified Power User Exam covers ten domains. Each domain enlists the concepts and competencies that are required for the exam. Percentage against each Knowledge area signifies its contribution to the final exam. However, the Splunk Core Certified Power User course outline covers the following domains:
Using Transforming commands and visualizations – 5%
- Use the chart command (Splunk Documentation: Chart)
- Use the timechart command (Splunk Documentation: timechart, timechart command examples)
Filtering and formatting results – 10%
- The eval command (Splunk Documentation: eval, eval command examples)
- Use the search and where commands to filter results (Splunk Documentation: search command
- The fillnull command (Splunk Documentation: fillnull)
Correlating events – 15%
- Identify transactions (Splunk Documentation: transaction)
- Group events using fields (Splunk Documentation: Classify and group similar events)
- Group events using fields and time
- Search with transactions (Splunk Documentation: Search for transactions)
- Report on transactions
- Determine when to use transactions vs. stats (Splunk Documentation: transaction vs stats commands)
Creating and Managing Fields – 10%
- Perform regex field extractions using the Field Extractor (FX) (Splunk Documentation: Build field extractions with the field extractor)
- Perform delimiter field extractions using the FX (Splunk Documentation: Field Extractor: Select Method step)
Creating Fields aliases, field extractions, calculated fields – 10%
- Describe, create, and use field aliases (Splunk Documentation: Create field aliases in Splunk Web, Configure field aliases)
- Describe, create, and use calculated field (Splunk Documentation: Create calculated fields with Splunk Web)
Creating Tags and event types – 10%
- Create and use tags (Splunk Documentation: Tag event types)
- Describe event types and their uses (Splunk Documentation: About event types)
- Create an event type
Creating and using Macros – 10%
- Describe macros (Splunk Documentation: Define search macros in Settings)
- Create and use a basic macro (Splunk Documentation: Use search macros in searches)
- Define arguments and variables for a macro (Splunk Documentation: Define search macros in Settings)
- Add and use arguments with a macro (Splunk Documentation: Use search macros in searches)
Creating and using Workflow actions – 10%
- Describe the function of GET, POST, and Search workflow actions (Splunk Documentation: About workflow actions in Splunk Web)
- Create a GET workflow action (Splunk Documentation: Set up a GET workflow action)
- Creating a POST workflow action (Splunk Documentation: Set up a POST workflow action)
- Create a Search workflow action (Splunk Documentation: Set up a search workflow action)
Creating Data models – 10%
- Describe the relationship between data models and pivot (Splunk Documentation: Work with data models and pivots, About data models)
- Identify data model attributes
- Create a data model (Splunk Documentation: datamodel)
Using Common Information Model (CIM) Add-On – 10%
- Describe the Splunk CIM (Splunk Documentation: Splunk Common Information Model)
- List the knowledge objects included with the Splunk CIM Add-On (Splunk Documentation: Add-ons and CIM, Access knowledge objects for an add-on)
- Use the CIM Add-On to normalize data (Splunk Documentation: Use the CIM to normalize data at search time)
Preparatory Guide: Splunk Core Certified Power User
The preparations for any exam demand consistency and utter determination. To stay focused and motivated throughout your preparation journey we provide you with our specially curated preparatory guide. This comprehensive step by step guide will surely make the preparation journey a cakewalk for you and you’ll be able to pass the exam with flying colours.
Step 1- Download the Official Guide
The first and foremost step is to download the official guide. This guide can be downloaded from Splunk’s official website. The Official Splunk Core Certified Power User Study Guide will provide you detailed information about the exam topics and course. It acts as a blueprint for your exam and is very essential. Moreover, it’s advised to familiarise yourself with the exam topics before commencing with the preparations. Therefore you need to download to official guide to have clarity about the exam course.
Step 2- Set up a Study Schedule
Devising a Study Plan is the next step. You need to devote time to your preparations daily. The Splunk Core Certified Power User exam covers a huge syllabus. All this can be achieved if you stay consistent with your preparations. Make a Splunk Core Certified Power User blueprint and study plan which helps you prepare well and also avoids distractions. Begin with strengthening your weaker sections and have ample time for your revisions. Remember, consistency is the key so start early and devote time to your preparations daily.
Step 3 – Refer Books
We highly recommend you hit the books while you are preparing for the Splunk Core Certified User exam. Splunk Core Certified Power User exam books provide you a detailed understanding of the exam courses. Books also help you gain deeper insights and profound knowledge. Such understanding will surely help you ace the exam.
Step 4 – Go for Training Course
Training is a must while preparing. Splunk Core Certified Power User training courses provide hands-on experience and practical knowledge about the exam. Such understanding is necessary while preparing for the Splunk Core Certified Power User exam.
Splunk offers the following fundamental courses to aid your preparation journey-
The Splunk Fundamental 1 is a self-paced course that teaches you how to search and navigate in Splunk, use fields, get statics from your data, create reports, dashboards, lookups, and alerts. It will also introduce you to Splunk’s datasets features and Pivot interface.
This 4 virtual-day course focuses on additional SPL commands, using field aliases and calculated fields, creating tags and event types, using macros, creating workflow actions and data models, and normalizing data with the CIM.
Step 5- Join a community
Joining a study group or an online discussion forum is the next important step while preparing. Such study groups provide various valuable insights about the exam. Also, these groups help you in connecting with subject matter experts and with your peers who are on the same road for the exam. We recommend you join a study group to stay updated with the current changes and prepare well for the exams.
Step 6- Take up practice Tests
Now, it’s time to put your knowledge to the test. The final step of your preparations is to analyze how prepared are you for the real exam. Here comes the importance of practice tests. Attempting practice tests, helps you review exam questions structure. Also, practice tests help you recognize areas that will require additional study. Moreover, such tests provide you with real exam experience and you learn to manage the time accordingly. Strengthening your weaker areas will definitely make you confident about your preparedness. Further, attempting the Splunk Core Certified Power User practice tests and outperforming yourself in each subsequent test will boost your confidence as well as esteem. So start practicing now and stay ahead of your competition.
Boost your career by qualifying the Splunk Core Certified Power User Exam. Start your preparations Now!