The globally recognized Splunk certification programs aim to certify exceptional well-trained, sought-after professionals that our industry peers recognize as experts in their field. Splunk Core Certified User (SPLK-1001) exam is the final step towards completion of the Splunk Core Certified User certification. This optional entry-level certification demonstrates an individual’s basic ability to navigate and use Splunk software. Further, you can start preparing for Splunk Core Certified Power User Exam to get advanced.
Preparing for the exam is definitely a big task. Here we present you with Tutorials and Preparatory Guide to clear the exam and pass with flying colours. Get ready to be loaded with all the learning resources to boost your learning.
About the Splunk Core Certified User exam
A Splunk Core Certified User is able to search, use fields, create alerts, use lookups, and create basic statistical reports and dashboards in either the Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Cloud platforms. This entry-level certification exam evaluates a candidate’s knowledge and skills to navigate and use Splunk software.
The key learnings form this exam are-
- Introduction to Splunk’s interface
- Basic searching
- Using fields in searches
- Search fundamentals
- Transforming commands
- Creating reports and dashboards
- Creating and using lookups
- Scheduled reports
- Using Pivot
Before diving into your preparations, you need to be familiar with the exam concepts and policies. Let’s have a look at some basic exam details. This entry-level certification exam is a 57-minute. Talking about the Splunk Core Certified User questions, there will be a 65-question assessment that evaluates a candidate’s knowledge and skills. Candidates can expect an additional 3 minutes to review the exam agreement, for a total seat time of 60 minutes.
Exam Delivery Options
The splunk certification exams can be taken in either of the following ways-
- Firstly, In-person at a Pearson Test Center.
- Or at home via online proctoring
Candidates for the exam are recommended to complete the lecture, hands-on labs, and quizzes that are part of the Splunk Fundamentals 1 course in order to be prepared for the certification exam.
The Splunk Core Certified User exam can be prepared by following the steps-
- First-time registrants need to connect your Splunk account to the Pearson VUE platform.
- Next you will have to submit complete, accurate contact information to testing partner Pearson VUE.
- Then you need to wait for Authorization to Test email from Pearson View for two days from your form submission.
- Subsequently create an account with Pearson VUE.
- Now you need to schedule an exam appointment. Your Pearson VUE Home screen provides a full list of exams for which you are eligible. Click through the verification screens and proceed to Schedule this Exam, followed by Proceed to Scheduling.
- Further, you need to verify exam appointment details and confirm contact information. Agree to policies (please read carefully). Enter payment information (or Voucher code, if applicable). Submit Order.
- Lastly, you will receive a registration confirmation email from Pearson VUE.
The Splunk Core Certified User has the following exam policies
Exam Retake Policy
If you are not able to pass the exam in the first attempt Splunk offers you to take the exam again. You must wait 7 days to retake the exam. You will not be permitted to retake any exam they have previously passed, unless directly related to a recertification requirement approved by Splunk. The re-take can be taken by paying a fee of $125 USD.
Exam Rescheduling Policy
All scheduled exams are subject to a minimum 24 hour cancellation and/or rescheduling policy. Failure to cancel or reschedule an exam within this time frame results in forfeiture of registration fee.
The Splunk Core Certified User certification is valid for a period of 3 years.
Exam FAQ: Splunk Core Certified User
Before venturing into your preparations, you must have complete clarity about the exam policies. Visit Splunk Core Certified User FAQ
Splunk Core Certified User Interview Questions
Let us look at some Splunk Core Certified User Interview Questions.
Exam Course Outline
The Splunk Core Certified User Exam covers eight domains. Each domain enlists the concepts and competencies that are required for the exam. Percentage against each Knowledge area signifies its contribution in the final exam. The Splunk Core Certified User course outline covers the following topics:
1. Splunk Basics 5%
- Splunk components (Splunk Documentation: Components of a Splunk Enterprise deployment)
- Understand the uses of Splunk (Splunk Reference: Using Splunk)
- Define Splunk apps (Splunk Documentation: Apps and add-ons)
- Customizing user settings (Splunk Documentation: Change user profile settings in Splunk UBA)
- Basic navigation in Splunk (Splunk Documentation: Navigating Splunk Web)
2. Basic Searching 22%
- Run basic searches (Splunk Documentation: Basic searches and search results)
- Set the time range of a search (Splunk Documentation: Select time ranges to apply to your search)
- Identify the contents of search results (Splunk Documentation: Search history)
- Refine searches (Splunk Documentation: Write better searches)
- Use the timeline (Splunk Documentation: Use the timeline to investigate events)
- Work with events (Splunk Documentation: event)
- Control a search job (Splunk Documentation: Manage search jobs)
- Save search results (Splunk Documentation: Saving searches)
3. Using Fields in Searches 20%
- Understand fields (Splunk Documentation: fields)
- Use fields in searches (Splunk Documentation: Use fields to search)
- Use the fields sidebar (Splunk Documentation: Fields sidebar)
4. Search Language Fundamentals 15%
- Review basic search commands and general search practices (Splunk Reference: Searching and Reporting with Splunk)
- Examine the search pipeline (Splunk Documentation: Anatomy of a search)
- Specify indexes in searches (Splunk Documentation: Create custom indexes)
- Use the following commands to perform searches: tables, rename, fields, dedup, & sort (Splunk Documentation: dedup)
5. Using Basic Transforming Commands 15%
- The top command (Splunk Documentation: top)
- The rare command (Splunk Documentation: Usage)
- The stats command (Splunk Documentation: stats)
6. Creating Reports and Dashboards 12%
- Save a search as a report (Splunk Documentation: Save and share your reports)
- Edit reports (Splunk Documentation: Advanced Edit page to update a report configuration)
- Create reports that display statistics (tables) (Splunk Documentation: Create reports that display summary statistics)
- Create reports that display visualizations (charts) (Splunk Documentation: Create and edit reports)
- Create a dashboard 6.6 Add a report to a dashboard (Splunk Documentation: Create dashboards and panels)
- Edit a dashboard (Splunk Documentation: Edit dashboards in Splunk Light)
7. Creating and Using Lookups 6%
- Describe lookups (Splunk Documentation: About lookups)
- Examine a lookup file example (Splunk Documentation: Lookup example in Splunk Web)
- Create a lookup file and create a lookup definition (Splunk Documentation: Define a CSV lookup in Splunk Web)
- Configure an automatic lookup (Splunk Documentation: Define an automatic lookup in Splunk Web)
- Use the lookup in searches (Splunk Documentation: Search with field lookups)
8. Creating Scheduled Reports and Alerts 5%
- Describe scheduled reports (Splunk Documentation: Schedule reports)
- Configure scheduled reports (Splunk Documentation: Schedule reports)
- Describe alerts (Splunk Documentation: Alerts)
- Create alerts (Splunk Documentation: Create real-time alerts)
- View fired alerts (Splunk Documentation: Triggered alerts)
Preparatory Guide for Splunk Core Certified User Exam
Getting certified for your knowledge and skills boosts your confidence and provides you with immense credibility. Preparation for an exam is one of the most essential yet difficult journeys. Further, the key to successfully pass an exam is by preparing right. Preparations demand consistency and determination. Also, there are plenty of resources available. You must have the right information and tools to crack the exam. We present you our specially curated Preparatory Guide to help you achieve the Splunk Core Certified User certification.
Step 1 – Download the Splunk Core Certified User Official Guide
The first and foremost step is to download the official guide. This guide can be downloaded from Splunk official website. The Official Splunk Core Certified User Study Guide will provide you detailed information about the exam topics and course. It acts as a Splunk Core Certified User blueprint and is very essential. Moreover, it’s advised to familiarise yourself with the exam topics before commencing with the preparations. Therefore you need to download the official guide to have clarity about the exam course.
Step 2 – Choose the Right Books
Preparation for any exam without books seems unreasonable and unproductive at the same time. So, you should also search for relevant and credible books by expert authors for your exam preparation. Books are a comprehensive source of information for candidates to prepare for this certification exam. You can access a detailed explanation of various concepts in the Splunk Core Certified User exam through books. Most importantly, remember to choose Splunk Core Certified User books from the authentic and genuine resources.
Step 3 – Enroll for Training Course
Training is a must while preparing. Splunk Core Certified User training courses provide hands-on experience and practical knowledge about the exam. Such understanding is necessary while preparing for the Splunk Core Certified User exam. Splunk offers the following fundamental courses to aid your preparation journey-
This course teaches you how to search and navigate in Splunk, use fields, get statistics from your data, create reports, dashboards, lookups, and alerts. Scenario-based examples and hands-on challenges will enable you to create robust searches, reports, and charts. It will also introduce you to Splunk’s datasets features and Pivot interface.
- Firstly, Introduction to Splunk’s interface
- Then, Basic searching
- Also, Using fields in searches
- Further, Search fundamentals
- Moreover, Transforming commands
- Subsequently, Creating reports and dashboards
- Furthermore, Datasets
- Likewise, The Common Information Model (CIM)
- Additionally, Creating and using lookups
- Not to mention, Scheduled Reports
- Also, Alerts
- Lastly, Using Pivot
Step 4 – Join a community
Joining a study group or an online discussion forum is the next important step while preparing. The prospects of getting resolutions to an issue increase steeply when a greater number of people are involved. Also, multiple viewpoints make the stuff more dynamic. These discussions make the studies more comprehensive. Introverts get a chance to express themselves, who might otherwise prefer staying out of discussions. Forums work really well to build a community that is essential for understanding others.
Step 5 – Take up practice Tests
Mistakes are inevitable, but surely, they can be limited. When it comes to exams, practice papers help a lot in limiting mistakes. Moreover, training the brain is very essential. Splunk Core Certified User practice exam gives that simulation in which the brain needs to get used to the actual exam. Other than knowledge, there are many factors that can affect your performance in the exam. Also, the Splunk Core Certified User practice tests will help you in getting confidence, speed, understanding the marking scheme, physical and mental alertness and concentration, and more. Start practicing Now!